'...this I have resolved on, to wit, to run when I can, to go when I cannot run, and to creep when I cannot go.'

Monday 15 March 2010

Abraham Booth

This week I am giving a lecture on Dr Ernest Kevan. In his book 'London's Oldest Baptist Church' he refers to this incident in the life of Abraham Booth, one of his predecessors: ‘One of the members of his (i.e. Booth’s) Church waited on him, and mentioned to him what he supposed were his defects in preaching. “You do not touch upon such and such articles, of which I am very fond; and I really find that I cannot profit by your ministry as I wish.” The good man, instead of yielding to resentment, or going into angry disputation, only paused awhile, and then meekly said, “Ah, brother! so far am I from being astonished at your not profiting under my ministry, that I often feel amazed at God’s making me useful to anybody at all.'