'...this I have resolved on, to wit, to run when I can, to go when I cannot run, and to creep when I cannot go.'

Monday 5 April 2010

The Blessedness of the Righteous

From John Howe's book with the above title, based on Psalm 17:15: 'As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.'

'For this satisfaction is the soul's rest in God; its perfect enjoyment of the most perfect good: the expletion of the whole capacity of its will; the total filling up of that vast enlarged appetite; the perfecting of all its desires in delight and joy.'

'What more can be wanting to cause all the darkness of atheism, carnality, and everything of sin, for ever to vanish out of the awakening soul, and an entire frame of holiness to succeed, but one such transforming sight of the face of God? One sight of his glorious majesty presently subdues, and works it to a full subjection; one sight of his purity makes it pure; one sight of his loveliness turns it into love: and such a sight always remaining, the impress remains always actually... fresh and lively.'