'...this I have resolved on, to wit, to run when I can, to go when I cannot run, and to creep when I cannot go.'

Saturday 22 May 2010

Odds and ends

Just recently I have been too busy to write anything here, so here's a few odd bits. Just recently I read Revelation 15, which reminded me of this:
And I saw with the eye of faith,
like a sea of burning glass
that flashed and shimmered and shone with light,
the place where the victors pass;
they stand on that radiant shore,
those who overcame the beast
by their word and the blood of the Lamb,
and their praises never cease.

For they play on the harps of God
a tune never heard before,
the song of Moses who served the Lord,
who stood on the Red Sea shore:
and they sing the song of the Lamb,
and their praises fill the sky,
they rise and echo across the sea
to the throne of God on high.

‘Great and marvellous are your works,
O Lord, we bring you our praise,
God the Almighty, the King of saints,
faithful and just your ways!
Are there any who will not bow
in reverence at your throne
and bring their worship to your great name,
God who is holy alone?

All nations shall come and adore
from the east, west, south and north;
for now your judgments are clearly seen,
you have shown your fame and worth.’
And I longed to be with them there
by that bright celestial sea,
singing praise to the Father and Lamb
in glory eternally!
I am also reading Ian Randall's 'Evangelical Experiences', which studies developments in spiritualty during the inter war years. It is interesting to see divergences from basic orthodoxy in the denominations, and the way in which 'liberal evangelicalism' generally moved more and more towards out and out liberalism. Also in his study of whar he calls 'Separatist Spiritually' the movement towards an evangelically based form of unity - Poole-Connor and Lloyd-Jones, for example. This, to me, raises the question whether it is right to denominate those whose priority is unity as 'separatist'. Every group that has its own identity and ethos is 'separatist' for that very reason, it just depends where you draw the line of separation. 'Gospel unity' seems to me a very desirable thing.