'...this I have resolved on, to wit, to run when I can, to go when I cannot run, and to creep when I cannot go.'

Monday 26 July 2010

A question of proportion

I have had to put my reading of John Howe's 'The Blessedness of the Righteous' on hold because of a family visit, but I had time to read some this morning. I have finished the exposition and doctrine (155 pages) and this is how John Howe begins the next section: 'And now is our greatest work yet behind; the improvement of so momentous a truth, to the affecting and transforming of hearts; that, if the Lord shall so far vouchsafe his assistance and blessing, they may taste the sweetness, feel the power, and bear the impress and image of it. This is the work both of the greatest necessity, difficulty, and excellency, and unto which all that hath been done hitherto is but subservient and introductive.' There follows another 211 pages. Makes you think, doesn't it?