'...this I have resolved on, to wit, to run when I can, to go when I cannot run, and to creep when I cannot go.'

Saturday 25 September 2010

Dr Ernest Kevan


Today I came to the end of writing a biography of Ernest Kevan, the first Principal of London Bible College. The first draft was completed not far off a year ago, but new information, a different approach and a rigorous (I hope) attention to clarity and style has meant that it was not finished earlier. Of course, I have had one or two other things to do over the past months as well. Whether what I have written will ever be seen in book form depends on whether it is published, but I would like to think it will be. It is now 45 years since Kevan died and he is unknown to many Christians today and only a name to many others. Most of us who were at LBC in his day thank God for him and his influence upon our lives. For many reasons he deserves to be better known than he is. Canon Frank Colquhoun wrote this about him: ‘He was beyond question one of the truly great Evangelicals of our day. Others will, I am sure, write more fully about him as scholar, teacher, administrator, and leader of men. For my part I like to recall that, with all his rich and varied gifts, he was at heart a very simple Christian believer, a humble man of God, and a most lovable and gracious friend.’