'...this I have resolved on, to wit, to run when I can, to go when I cannot run, and to creep when I cannot go.'

Friday 3 December 2010

Rhetoric over reality

Reading some Evangelical literature recently I was struck by the rhetoric being used – and this by good and wise Christian leaders. You would think that the gospel was really affecting the people in the towns and cities of our country. Yet, reading the secular newspapers I cannot help being struck by the way in which the standards and values that are the legacy of Christian influence in the past are more and more rejected and a rampant secularism embraced. How is it that we can be so exuberant in the face of the ignorance of Christian truth and basic morality that we see on every hand? Of course, it is true that the gospel is still the power of God for the salvation of all who believe, but it is not gospel victories we are seeing in our nation. There are some conversions, but it is the powers of darkness that are triumphing today. When are we going to face the situation seriously?