'...this I have resolved on, to wit, to run when I can, to go when I cannot run, and to creep when I cannot go.'

Saturday 16 July 2011

One Master

My attention has been turned again to a verse which I have found to be important and helpful to me, Romans 14: 4: ‘Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.’ Early on in the pastorate I became conscious of other ministers who expected me to do this or that – or not to do this or that, and to join in with this or that – or not to join in with this or that. I felt a pressure, sometimes subtle, sometimes not so subtle. The same sort of pressure, of course, can be experienced by all Christians, from sources both within and without the local church. It is very valuable to have wise and trusted friends whose advice can be sought; and I believe we can learn from many others, both Christian and unbelievers. But in the last analysis we have one Master, Jesus Christ, and we stand or fall to him and to no other. This is part of the freedom of a Christian; we should value it highly.