'...this I have resolved on, to wit, to run when I can, to go when I cannot run, and to creep when I cannot go.'

Tuesday 28 February 2012

Wisdom from Charles Simeon

I hope sometime soon to say something about Derek Prime’s excellent book on Charles Simeon (Day One). For the moment here is this extract:

A considerable part of my ministerial usefulness has consisted, to instruct young ministers how to read easily, naturally, distinctly, impressively. This is indeed a kind of instruction which no man gives, and no man desires: but it is greatly needed, and of vast importance, as well to the health of the ministers, as to the edification of their flocks. How often are the prayers of our Church spoiled, and good sermons rendered uninteresting, by bad delivery in ministers! I thank God, I could specify many, some that were in a very hopeless state, who have been exceedingly benefited by my poor endeavours.