'...this I have resolved on, to wit, to run when I can, to go when I cannot run, and to creep when I cannot go.'

Wednesday 16 May 2012

The Pastor for Pastors

In the FIEC's Spring Together magazine there is an article on pastoring pastors. Obviously it is concerned with how pastors can be pastored by other pastors, elders and the church, but I would like just to add another dimension. I think it is always valuable to remember that Jesus Christ is the supreme pastor of us all: The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. We teach this to our people, but those who are pastors must also exemplify it in their lives. However much we value the advice, guidance and prayers of others our Lord Jesus is the best pastor of all. I would have to say that there have been one or times in my pastoral experience when I felt I had no one else to go to except the Lord and, looking back, I am glad that was the case. Pastors are surely called to prove the reality of the loving care of the Saviour so that they can testify out of their own experience that everyone, whatever their circumstances and needs, can safely and fully trust his shepherdly care. 'When all things seem against us, to drive us to despair; we know one gate is open, and you will hear our prayer.'