'...this I have resolved on, to wit, to run when I can, to go when I cannot run, and to creep when I cannot go.'

Saturday 9 March 2013

Bearing with one another

In preparing an address to be given at the Grace Assembly I have been struck by the opening section of Colossians 3 down as far as v.14. In particular I want to comment on these words 'bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so also you forgive.' It seems to me that words like these are often almost completely overlooked. The context speaks of putting to death all the evils to which even as believers we can be far too prone. But even as we (or some of us!) try to do this there will always be problems and tensions that arise within the church - after all we are not in heaven yet. The only way we can deal with one another's failings is by forbearance and forgiveness. And our mutal sanctification is forwarded by bearing with each other, forgiving each other and together putting to death the things that are wrong and following after those things that are good and right. Yet instead of helping each other as this passage indicates we get exasperated with the faults of our fellow believers, we refuse to forgive, we easily take umbrage and fellowship breaks down. Pride and self so easily spoil our love and the life of the church.