'...this I have resolved on, to wit, to run when I can, to go when I cannot run, and to creep when I cannot go.'

Saturday 8 January 2011

Tomorrow I am preaching on 'Worship' at our evening service. This is one of a series of three sermons on the subject. I am more and more convinced that our great need is for the working of the Holy Spirit. Of course, it is right to see where our worship could be improved, and there is no lack of people to tell us what could/should/might be done. The fact is, though, that churches with different forms of worship can all seem dead and lifeless or can be vibrant, joyful and see spiritual fruit. It is, of course, only too easy to say that we need the presence and blessing of the Spirit, but this is the one factor that makes all the difference. It may be a good thing if nothing else seems to 'work', because then we are cast back upon God. I was impressed by reading again what Jonathan Edwards had to say about the days of revival at Northampton: ‘Our public assemblies were then beautiful: the congregation was alive in God’s service, every hearer eager to drink in the words of the minister as they came from his mouth; the assembly in general were, from time to time, in tears while the word was preached; some weeping with sorrow and distress, others with love and joy, others with pity and concern for the souls of their neighbours. Our public praises were then greatly enlivened; God was then served in our psalmody, in some measure, in the beauty of holiness. Our congregation excelled all that ever I knew in the singing of God’s praises.’