'...this I have resolved on, to wit, to run when I can, to go when I cannot run, and to creep when I cannot go.'

Sunday 30 September 2012

The church mug


Yesterday, Saturday September 29th, Mary and I went back to Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent. From 1966-1994 I was the pastor of Bethel Evangelical Church in Hanley – the Stoke city centre. The mug in the picture – the only church mug I’ve ever seen, at least in the proper sense of the word! – shows the old church, originally Congregational, that dates back to its foundation in 1812. So yesterday there was an exhibition and lecture by Gervase Charmley, the present pastor, on the 200 years of gospel witness on the site. Going back brought back many memories, as well as the opportunity to meet many old friends. Over the years God has blessed his Word and brought many to faith in Jesus Christ. I was interested most of all to learn that in the early 1800’s three men went out to India as missionaries. In the nineteen fifties and sixties a number also went out as missionaries whom we knew well. One, David Mead, who laboured in Italy for many years, was present yesterday. We trust and pray that the church will prosper by God’s good grace.