'...this I have resolved on, to wit, to run when I can, to go when I cannot run, and to creep when I cannot go.'

Saturday 5 October 2013

Bleesed are those who keep his commandments


It is some months since I last posted anything on this blog. There are various reasons for this, I think. Perhaps laziness has something to do with it, but a measure of ill-health for a while and other concerns have kept me away from making any comments. I think, also, the considerable emotional impact of the parliamentary vote to redefine marriage affected me deeply, as I know it did others of my age. This morning, in reading through the Psalms, I came to Psalm 119 and read the first two sections. I draw attention to two verses: ‘You have commanded your precepts to be kept diligently’ (v.4) and, ‘I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways’ (v.15). Righteousness involves keeping God’s commandments diligently, but in the world as it is, and with our hearts as they are, it is vital to fix our eyes on God’s ways. There is so much else to see, so much else to catch our attention and to draw us away from our God, but ‘I will not forget your word’ (v.16).