'...this I have resolved on, to wit, to run when I can, to go when I cannot run, and to creep when I cannot go.'

Monday 14 October 2013

A Small Correction



As I suspected I had got the words wrong of the song I referred to in my last post. I was muddled up between I come to the garden alone, sung, in this case, by Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, and I walked into the garden, sung by The Mellomen. I discovered (the right word!) this by getting out my box of ‘Fifties’ 78s. There is a reason why I have a fairly large number of gospel songs of the period. When I was at RAF St Eval during National Service, the first programme on Sundays on the Tannoy system that went to all the billets began like this: ‘Good morning; it’s nine o’clock on Sunday morning. Time once more for The Old Rugged Cross’ and an orchestral version of the tune to that hymn gradually increased in volume during the announcement. Throughout the time that I was there the SASRA group continued with this half-hour programme. I have to confess it was mainly music, gospel songs and hymns, but there was usually a reading from the Bible and a tract would be read also at some point. Perhaps surprisingly the programme was very popular, often no.2 in the week, and a few times hitting the top spot. Obviously we had to rely on providing our own records and as I was often involved I bought more than perhaps I would otherwise have done. I wonder if some real good was done by the programme. Oh, and here is the first verse and chorus:

I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses,
And the voice I hear, falling on my ear,
The Son of God discloses:

And he walks with me and he talks with me
And he tells me I am his own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known