'...this I have resolved on, to wit, to run when I can, to go when I cannot run, and to creep when I cannot go.'

Saturday 2 November 2013

Some random thoughts



There is much in the news, and about the world that we live in, to cause the Christian to feel despondent. Crimes and evils are constantly brought before us and the shift in our society to an utterly godless outlook and the behaviours that spring from this can easily seem to overwhelm us. Christian periodicals sometimes seem to dwell overmuch on the gloom of the present day and even prayer meetings can be burden rather than an inspiration when there is too much bemoaning of the state of our country. For this reason I have it in mind, when I next preach, to take as my text John 16:33: ‘These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world’. Peace and good cheer through Christ and his work – that’s more like it!

In November’s Grace magazine the – alas – contentious subject of the Lord’s Day is dealt with from several different viewpoints. What surprises me is that no-one seems to realise that the fourth commandment arising from the divine creation pattern of Genesis 1 to 2:3 is the only basis that there is for a seven-day week. Ancient societies had a variety of ‘weeks’ and the anti-Christian revolutionaries in France and Russia both attempted to do away with the seven day week, though neither alternative lasted long. It is baffling to me that some evangelical Christians – of all people – are now effectively doing the same thing, though I don’t think they realise it. Surely God’s creative pattern should apply to the whole created earth and not just to1400 years or so of Israel’s history. With the spread of the Christian faith the seven-day week also spread far and wide, with all the benefits it brings when it is appreciated and kept appropriately.

I have been reading ‘Engaging with Keller’ (EP), as I have to review it. At first I found the last chapter ‘Looking for communion in all the wrong places: Keller and the doctrine of the church’ of little interest or significance to an Independent like me. And then I began to think of developments in this country like the rise of Gospel Partnerships, the promotion of ‘missional churches’, and all the confusion which comes from churches of this, that and the other flavour being planted here, there and everywhere without any thought of other churches that might already exist. I suddenly realised that it is actually raises one of the most urgent issues of our day.