'...this I have resolved on, to wit, to run when I can, to go when I cannot run, and to creep when I cannot go.'

Monday 14 November 2011

A big question

I have been fascinated in reading the history of IVF/UCCF in Douglas Johnson’s book Contending for the Faith. In particular I was intrigued by the Inter-Varsity Missionary fellowship which was formed in 1933. All who joined were to sign a declaration of membership which said: ‘Acknowledging Jesus Christ as my Saviour, my Lord, and my God, I purpose, if God permit, to serve him in the foreign mission field.’ After this came the following: ‘The Declaration is more than a mere expression of willingness or desire to become a foreign missionary, it is a statement of a definite life-purpose formed under the direction of God. The purpose of those who sign this declaration is by God’s grace to spend their lives as foreign missionaries. Towards this end they will shape their plans; they will steadily set themselves to prepare for this great work; they will do all in their power to remove the obstacles which may stand in the way of their going; and in due time they will make the necessary arrangements to go out. Only the clear leading of God will prevent their going to the foreign field.’ Then a final statement: ‘It is the duty of every Christians to face this question and to think to a conclusion, but let no one decide it without careful thought and earnest prayer.’ Times have changed and missions have changed, but it is surely still true that every Christian has a duty before God to face the question: ‘What does God want me to do with the life he has given me?’