'...this I have resolved on, to wit, to run when I can, to go when I cannot run, and to creep when I cannot go.'

Friday 30 December 2011

Encountering Dr Martyn Lloyd-Jones 2

The natural is God-given and good

It was a great privilege to listen to the Doctor preaching his series of sermons on marriage from Ephesians 5 – even better than reading the book; both I and my wife to be found them enormously helpful at the time. Marriage and family life became a calling from God; bringing up children a sacred obligation and privilege. Against a background in which self-sacrifice was rightly highly thought of among Christians, it was important to be reminded that there are many natural blessings that are gifts of God. As someone who went to boarding school when my parents returned abroad as missionaries after the Second World War I am still unable to determine in my own mind exactly the principles which should apply in such cases. Once again, though, the Doctor brought a whole new perspective into view which was surely beneficial.