'...this I have resolved on, to wit, to run when I can, to go when I cannot run, and to creep when I cannot go.'

Saturday 31 December 2011

Encountering Dr Martyn Lloyd-Jones 3

Biblical principles

It was not unusual, if I remember correctly, for preaching in the 1940’s and 50’s to be very prescriptive at times. Young people, in particular, were told what not to do and what they should do. I can remember hearing preaching against women wearing lipstick and it was generally considered worldly to go to the cinema or dancing. The old taboos have gone now amongst Christians – probably the pendulum has swung far too far in the other direction. The Doctor’s preaching searched the heart but when it came to behaviour it was thoughtful, biblical principle that was the guide. More than that; his ministry brought you near to God so that it was not just a case of what was right or wrong, but what would promote godliness and the enjoyment of grace.