'...this I have resolved on, to wit, to run when I can, to go when I cannot run, and to creep when I cannot go.'

Friday 16 December 2011

Visitation, Divorce & the Good Samaritan

Last Wednesday some of us met in the fraternal that alternates between Lancaster and Kendal. I gave a basic address on Pastoral Visitation. In discussion the question of divorce came up – especially in view of violence against a wife (or husband). Two or three years ago I gave a brief paper on Divorce at the West Lancs Reformed Baptist Fellowship. I have put both of these addresses on my other blog, Writings and Ramblings.

I have recently read John Legg’s article on the parable of the Good Samaritan in the latest edition of Foundations (on line from Affinity). Although I am not sure about all the details this is a very worthwhile effort to explain a very difficult parable (don’t think it’s difficult? – read what John has to say). He certainly addresses the key question – why did Jesus bring a Samaritan into the parable at all? For what my recommendation is worth, I think anyone will benefit from thinking through the parable in the light of what John has to say.